The fifth annual Canadian Statistics Student Conference
The Canadian Statistics Student Conference (CSSC) takes place the day before the Annual Meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada (SSC) and is organized completely by a committee of students and recent graduates. Initiated in 2013, this conference aims to bring together students and recent graduates from departments of statistics across Canada to network, learn about career and academic opportunities, and share their ideas and research with each other. A wide range of statistical interests are represented, including actuarial science, biostatistics, business and industrial statistics, probability, statistical education, and survey methods. In addition to providing the opportunity for students to present their work with their peers, the CSSC features an impressive slate of invited speakers sharing their experiences in both industry and academia.
Save the date! The fifth annual Canadian Statistics Student Conference will take place Saturday, June 10, 2017 at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg.
We are pleased to announce that Prof. Jiahua Chen (SSC 2014 Gold Medalist) from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, will be the invited keynote speaker for this year’s conference. We are also offering a new computational statistics workshop at the upcoming conference lead by Dr. Chel Hee Lee from University of Calgary, in addition to the student scientific program, career session and panel discussion.
Registration is now closed.
You can register for the student conference through the main SSC conference registration form. See the registration information page for instructions on how to register. The registration fee for the student conference alone is \$50. For those that have already registered, we strongly encourage you to verify your registration by ensuring the "I will be attending the Student Conference" message appears on your receipt.
Program Schedule: Click Link
Conference Program Booklet: Click Link
Submit your abstract!
Abstract submissions for the scientific program of the conference is now open! The abstract submission deadline has been extended to March 30, 2017 for both oral and poster presentations. You can submit your abstract using either the English or French abstract submission forms.
Scientific Program Competitions
- Undergraduate poster competition: Undergraduate students who submit an abstract to present a poster have the option to enter this competition. Winners will receive a cash prize!
- Best Posters of the SSC Student Conference Awards: Graduate students who submit an abstract to present a poster have the option to enter this competition. Winners will receive a cash prize!
- Best Papers of the SSC Student Conference Awards: Graduate students who submit an abstract to present an oral presentation have the option to enter this competition. Winners will receive a cash prize!
Apply for Student Travel Awards
This year, we are pleased to offer a limited number of travel awards to help cover costs associated with attending the student conference. These awards are generously sponsored by the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute (CANSSI). Students who are attending the CSSC and presenting their work (oral presentation or poster presentation) are eligible for financial support, including conference registration (\$50) and partial travel funding.
To apply, please fill out the form available through the link below. Travel funding will be up to \$150 (Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba) and \$200 (Quebec, British Columbia, Atlantic Canada).
Students must present at the 2017 CSSC to receive travel funding and reimbursement of the registration fees. The application deadline is April 21st, 2017 and funding decisions will be made by April 28th, 2017.
Application form: click link
Eligible expenses include:
• Registration fee for the student conference (50$)
• Travel costs to University of Manitoba (airfare and/or ground transportation)
• Accommodations for the Student Conference (Friday June 9th and Saturday June 10th)
If you have any questions, you can contact the organizers of the conference at email@example.com.
*NEW* : Photos of the conference on Flickr.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to be a SSC member to sign up for the student conference? The registration fee for student conference is $50 for each participant of the CSSC, regardless of their SSC membership status. However, holding a SSC membership has lots of benefits including access to a professional accreditation program, discounts for the main SSC meeting and so much more. Please refer to the membership page for details.
- Where can I find information about the student conference? All important student conference updates will be share on the student conference webpage. However, if you would like to reach us for any questions or concerns about your registration and other conference participation details, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.