Tenure-stream position in Mathematics or Statistics for Teacher Education
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Université Laval invites applications for a tenure-stream faculty position. Although all areas of specialization in mathematics or statistics are admissible, a particular expertise or interest in the education of elementary and secondary school teachers is required. The appointment will normally be at the rank of Assistant Professor, with an expected starting date in the summer of 2022.
About Université Laval
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DMS) is part of the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Université Laval. The DMS provides a world-class research and teaching environment. Courses are taught in French to students in specialized programs in mathematics and statistics (bachelor's, master's and doctorate), biostatistics (master's and doctorate) and, also, to students in engineering, education, etc.
More than a school, Université Laval is an entire community in the heart of Quebec City, a complete university recognized for its leadership and its culture of excellence both in teaching and research. It is located in beautiful Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the capital of the province of Quebec. With more than 48,000 students, the University is a stimulating place to live and work in the heart of an urban community of 800,000 people.
The incumbent will
- actively participate in the management of the department's activities related to the education of elementary and secondary school teachers,
- teach, in French, courses in mathematics or statistics dedicated to future teachers,
- teach, in French, courses in mathematics or statistics for programs offered by the department and large-group service courses,
- recruit and supervise graduate students,
- conduct and publish research in his/her area of expertise,
- solicit funding from major granting agencies,
- contribute to the management and promotion of the department's programs,
- and, more generally, participate in the development and proper functioning of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, and of Université Laval.
- Hold, or be in the process of obtaining, a doctorate in mathematics or statistics, or a degree deemed equivalent.
An application based on a strong mathematical or statistical component at the graduate level, combined with a doctorate in post-secondary education in mathematics or statistics, will also be admissible.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to work in the education of elementary and secondary school teachers within the department.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to provide high-quality teaching.
- Demonstrated aptitude for research and potential for the development of a productive, autonomous and original research program.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to recruit and supervise graduate students in departmental programs.
- Interest and aptitude for working in a team and in a collaborative manner with the teaching staff of the department.
- Be able to teach in French or commit to being able to do so within one year.
Terms of the competition
Interested candidates should send
- a cover letter,
- a curriculum vitae,
- three letters of reference (one of which should comment on teaching experience or potential),
- a document (maximum three pages) detailing their research program for the next three years,
- a document (maximum two pages) detailing their teaching philosophy,
- a document (maximum two pages) explaining why they are interested in a position for teacher education,
- and up to three articles (reprints or preprints).
For electronic applications, all of these documents should be submitted as PDF files. Non-French speaking applicants must also clearly indicate, in their cover letter, their level of proficiency in French and, if applicable, comment on their ability to attain a sufficient level of proficiency in that language within one year.
Département de mathématiques et de statistique
1045, av. de la Médecine
Canada G1V 0A6
The competition will end on January 30, 2022.
For more information, please contact the department chair by email at email@example.com.
Equity, diversity, inclusion
Valuing equity, diversity and excellence, Université Laval is strongly committed to provide an inclusive work and living environment for all its employees. For Université Laval, diversity is a source of wealth, and we encourage qualified individuals of all origins, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities or expressions, as well as persons with disabilities, to apply.
Université Laval also subscribes to an equal access to employment program for women, members of visible or ethnic minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities. Adaptation of the selection tools can be offered to persons with disabilities according to their needs and in complete confidentiality.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to qualified individuals with Canadian citizenship or permanent residency.
In order to facilitate their installation in Quebec City and to improve their knowledge of French, Université Laval offers new non-French speaking professors and their spouses the possibility of taking French courses.