CANSSI News and Deadlines
CANSSI CRTs in CJS!
The Canadian Journal of Statistics will feature CANSSI research in a special section of its first issue in 2019. Six papers from Collaborative Research Teams have undergone the usual peer review process and are on their way to press. Thanks are due to Mary Thompson, the guest editor for the special section, and Grace Yi, the editor of CJS, for their work in making this happen.
ASA DataFest Support for CANSSI Members
This year’s ASA DataFest promises to be very exciting. Teams of undergraduates will spend two days wrangling data and preparing a presentation as part of this competition. CANSSI member institutes can apply for $1000 in support towards hosting this event. The organizer must be a faculty or staff member at one of these institutions. The dataset, rules and structure of the event are provided by the ASA. To register your institution’s intent to host a local ASA DataFest event, please register here no later than January 3, 2018. To apply for CANSSI funding to help host this event, use the template application available here.
CANSSI Headquarters Grand Opening
CANSSI is very pleased to open our new headquarters at Simon Fraser University. We’re planning some exciting activities as part of our Grand Opening Celebration this December 6-7. The official ribbon cutting ceremony will take place the morning of December 7. Please join us while we celebrate this momentous occasion.
The Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science at Simon Fraser University (SFU), in partnership with the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute (CANSSI), is seeking applications for a faculty member at the rank of Professor, who will serve as the Scientific Director of CANSSI. The appointment as Scientific Director is for a five-year term. The appointee will be nominated for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair.
Learn more about the position and how to apply here.
SAMSI Undergraduate Workshops
We’re sending three undergraduates to SAMSI’s October workshop this year. Students who have gone in the past have all returned and told us what a great experience it was. The next deadline is January 10, 2019 for the February workshop. Learn more here.
- Call for Proposals for the Distinguished Visitor Program – due November 30, 2018
- ASA Datafest Applications – due January 3, 2019
- RSVP for Collaborative Research Team Project Proposal Webinar – due January 9, 2019
- SAMSI Undergraduate Workshop Support – due January 10, 2019
- Webinar about the CRT Proposal Writing Process – January 23, 2019
- CANSSI Call for Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions – due January 31, 2019
- Call for Workshop and Conference Proposals – due February 15, 2019
- Call for Collaborative Research Team Project LOIs – due April 30, 2019
- Call for Proposals for the Kick Start Research Program – applications accepted at any time
- Support for Undergraduate Datathons – applications accepted at any time