Manager - Analytics
Are you an analytics professional ready to act as a lead and subject matter expert on corporate-level applied analytics initiatives? If so, take the next step in your successful career by joining the Analytics Bureau of the Peel Regional Police – one of Canada’s most progressive police services.
As Manager of Analytics, you will be responsible for the overall management and leadership of the Crime Analysis and Business Intelligence Units, providing strategic direction to ensure the provision of effective and innovative analytical support to various units and bureaus across the Peel Regional Police.
More specifically, as Manager – Analytics, you will:
• Manage, maintain, support and develop analytical solutions and services to assist the organization
in the delivery of police services in the areas of analytics, business information solutions and strategic decision support, ensuring high quality internal and external service standards and
• Provide project management oversight to direct the activities, analysis and design of business
intelligence solutions and products to meet business requirements.
• Initiate and manage complex projects involving planning, assignment of resources, budgeting of
staff, material resources and timelines.
• Provide consultative services for the planning, design and implementation of new or enhanced
business information solutions.
• Liaise with analytics and business information stakeholders to understand and analyze complex
• Provide recommendations on methods for gathering, storing and modelling data to enable effective and
strategic reporting and analysis.
• Manage and provide strategic direction to the Business Intelligence and Crime Analysis Units,
ensuring the provision of innovative and effective analytical support to the organization. Manage the output of the Crime Analysis Unit to ensure consistency in service delivery across the
• Manage the Business Intelligence Unit to ensure effective data mining and predictive analysis.
• Lead research efforts, development and implementation of new technology solutions in partnership
with cross-functional teams to enhance crime and business intelligence analysis solutions and support.
• Create business rules, develop and deploy analytic products, and identify high-impact actionable
insights to achieve targeted outcomes and support decision making by management.
• Implement and manage a data governance program for the organization.
• Recommend and apply innovative problem-solving methods by working with a broad variety of disparate
and multivariate data using advanced computing platforms, tools and data mining approaches.
• Manage a team of supervisory and professional staff, ensuring staff development and training,
establishing performance standards and conducting performance evaluations, with direct input into hiring decisions and responsibility for team results.
• Research new training opportunities to develop enhanced training for staff to ensure innovation,
continuous improvement and excellence in business intelligence analytics and crime analysis.
• Prepare and manage the Analytics Bureau's operating and capital budgets in accordance with financial
instructions and approved levels of funding, and report on account variances.
• Analyze industry trends, identify business strategy impacts and opportunities, as well as
opportunities for gains in organizational effectiveness and efficiency, and recommend technology renewal, enhanced user support and augmented operating practices to senior management.
• Liaise with the Business Intelligence and Crime Analytics Managers from other Police Services and
related agencies, and attend conferences, seminars and networking group meetings to remain current in new technologies and practices in Business Intelligence and Crime Analytics.
In the role of Manager – Analytics, you will apply the following education, experience and skills:
• A university degree in Data Science, Applied Statistics, Math or Business Administration or
equivalent, with a specialty in analysis, plus additional research courses and/or training in business intelligence, crime analysis, computer applications, statistics and research methodology, or
an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Project Management Professional (PMP), Data Scientist Certification or Certified Analytics
Professional (CAP) designation, preferred.
• At least five (5) years of experience in a directly related environment, with three (3) or more at a
• Demonstrated experience building an analytical program which includes governance structures, and
standard programs for reporting and interpreting trends.
• Demonstrated expertise in statistical techniques and analysis, machine learning, predictive
modelling/forecasting and data mining techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to explore and manage data from multiple sources and conduct predictive analysis.
• Demonstrated knowledge of tactical and strategic intelligence analysis techniques.
• Demonstrated advanced database skills, including entity relationships, ETL skills and query language
skills across multiple databases and data repositories.
• Demonstrated project management, planning, organizing and co-ordination skills.
• Well developed analytical, research methodology, and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated written communication and report-writing skills.
• A flexible and innovative decision-making approach to complex issues.
• Effective oral communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Demonstrated conflict management skills.
• Knowledge of Law Enforcement, CAD and RMS, preferred.
The salary range for this permanent, full-time position is per annum and is complemented by a comprehensive benefit program, including employer-paid Health/Dental and Life Insurance; and the OMERS Pension Plan.
Peel Regional Police is committed to ensuring the health and wellness of its employees and offers many programs and services in support of work-life balance and both personal and professional wellness. From wellness protection for you and your family, to state-of-the-art fitness facilities available to you free of charge, to structured programs to nurture your intellectual, physical and emotional wellness, we’ve got you covered.
Our Vision: A Safer Community Together
Peel Regional Police, the second largest municipal police service in Ontario, polices the cities of Mississauga and Brampton (population 1,346,000) and serves the 44 million travellers who pass through Toronto Pearson International Airport annually.
Peel Regional Police is acknowledged as one of Canada’s most progressive police services. A proactive approach to problem-solving, a dedication to professional excellence and a reputation for making the community a better place in which to live and work – these are the hallmarks of Peel Regional Police.
Qualified persons should apply online at www.peelpolice.ca, referencing Job ID #302428,
by Sunday, March 3, 2019. No agency contact and/or referrals, please.
Applicants in consideration for hire shall be subject to a thorough background investigation that includes, but is not limited to, police checks with local, provincial and out-of-country law enforcement agencies, if required, education credentials, ccredit and financial inquiries, and personal and work references.