2016 Annual Meeting in St. Catharines, Ontario
44th Annual Meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada:
May 29-June 1, 2016, at Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario
The 44th Annual Meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada will be held at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario from Sunday May 29 to Wednesday June 1, 2016.
- Online registration is again open and will remain open until June 1. Please register online then and present your receipt for late enrollment at the registration desk.
- Registered participants can pick up their badges at the registration desk at the times indicated below. Walk-ins should register online and present their receipt at the registration desk. Registration will be available at:
- Sunday, May 29: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm — Thistle Corridor across from Sean O'Sullivan Theatre
- Sunday, May 29: 5:45 pm to 8:00 pm — Hallway outside of DeCew Dining Hall
- Monday, May 30: 7:30 am to 5:00 pm — Thistle Corridor across from Sean O'Sullivan Theatre
- Tuesday, May 31: 8:15 am to 5:00 pm — Thistle Corridor across from Sean O'Sullivan Theatre
- Wednesday, June 1: 8:15 am to 4:00 pm — Thistle Corridor across from Sean O'Sullivan Theatre
- Registration fees and refund policy.
The Brock campus can be a confusing place for visitors. Have the SSC 2016 Meeting Map on hand when you arrive! For those staying at Four Points Sheraton, here are maps for walking to the Thistle Complex and the David S. Howes Theatre.
If you arrive by car, proceed to Lot D for daily parking, Lot J or K for Vallee Residence (Earp Residence check-in), or Lot M for Earp Residence parking.
- Brock Campus Map
- Brock University Visitor Information
- Social Events
The modern rebirth of downtown St. Catharines began when Meridian Centre arena opened in 2014, followed by the FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre in 2015. At the same time, Brock University launched the new Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts in modern and repurposed buildings on the site of the former Canada Hair Cloth Co. factory. St. Paul Street and the surrounding area has become an entertainment district with many small restaurants and cafés, often with art shows and live music.
The Welland Canal runs through the east side of St. Catharines and the locks are worth a visit. There is a bicycle route along the length of the canal. Avondale Dairy Bar is near Lock 2. The St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre is by Lock 3. The lock schedules are posted online. Historic Port Dalhousie began as the Lake Ontario terminus for the first three (19th century) routes of the Welland Canal; there are restaurants and pubs, some with lake views, a beach, and a hand-carved carousel more than a century old which still offers 5¢ rides.
St. Catharines is close to the tourist centres of Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake. Brock University enjoys a beautiful location on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, right on the Bruce Trail. There are many wonderful wineries in the Niagara Region; we are offering a Sunday afternoon bus excursion to Hernder Estates (see below). Private operators offer day-long guided bicycle tours of the wineries. Visit Ontario by Bike for bicycling opportunities in the Niagara region.
Crystal Beach on Lake Erie has a storied past and is pleasant place to visit on a warm day. It is said that Lookout Ridge in Fonthill, near St. Catharines, is the only place where you can see both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie.
The Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake will be running during SSC 2016.
Afternoon Winery Tour to Hernder Estate Wines
- Date: Sunday, May 29, 2016
- Time: 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- Fee: $18 (payable with meeting registration) The tour can accommodate a maximum of 70 people and is filling quickly.
- Description: A shuttle bus will depart Brock University at 3:15 pm and arrive at the beautiful local winery within 15 minutes. As one of Niagara Region's premier producers of fine VQA and Fruit wines, and one of Canada's largest family Estate Wineries, Hernder Estate Wines is pleased to offer a tour of its facilities, a sampling of 3 wines and a 1-ounce sample of Icewine or Iced Fruit Wine. You can enjoy the beautiful scenery there and have a relaxing afternoon. The shuttle bus will leave the winery at 5 pm and return to Brock University.
- Online Scientific Program
- Information for Presenters and Session Chairs
- Case Studies
- Workshops, Sunday, May 29, 2016
- Call for Contributed Papers and Posters
- Interested individuals are invited to submit abstracts for contributed 15-minute talks or poster presentations in statistics, probability, actuarial science or related areas. Submission must be made through the meeting website. The deadline for submissions is February 12, 2016.
- Submissions must include the title of the presentation, the authors' names and affiliations, and an abstract in English or French of 100 words or less. The proposed presenter and the format of the presentation talk or poster should also be indicated. Students who submit an abstract should indicate whether they are eligible, and wish to be considered, for a Student Research Presentation Award. All presenters are required to register for the meeting at the time of abstract submission. The presenters are also responsible for their travel expenses to attend the meeting.
- Online submission of abstracts is closed.
- Fourth Annual Statistical Society of Canada Student Conference, Saturday, May 28, 2016.
- Student Travel Awards