Professor in Statistical or Machine Learning
Faculty of arts and science / Department of mathematics and statistics
In connection with the IVADO grant of the Canada First Research Excellence Fund, the Département de mathématiques et de statistique is seeking applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, in the area of Machine Learning as a field of application of Mathematics or Statistics. The candidate will have the possibility to join the MILA, the largest academic research group in the world in the area of deep learning (see the website associated with the position), and become an academic member of the IVADO data science community.
The appointed candidate will be expected to teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, supervise graduate students, engage in research and publication, and contribute to the academic life and reputation of the University.
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Mathematics, or in another field related to statistical or machine learning.
- An excellent publication record proving the candidate's ability to publish influential work in top-tier journals.
- Expertise in statistical or machine learning.
- Proven international recognition.
- University teaching and/or supervision experience.
- Proficiency in French within a reasonable period of time*.
Information about the position
Posting number: FAS 02-18 / 27
Deadline: Until March 20th 2018, inclusively.
Treatment: The Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits.
Starting date: On or after June 1st 2018
- The application must include the following documents:
- a cover letter
- a curriculum vitæ
- copies of up to three (3) recent publications demonstrating the candidate's research performance at the highest levels of the field
- a research statement
- a teaching statement
- Three letters of recommendation are also to be sent directly by the referees.
The complete application package and letters of recommendation must be submitted to www.mathjobs.org or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application and letters of recommendation may also be sent to the chair of the Département de mathématiques et de statistique at the following address:
Madame Marlène Frigon
Département de mathématiques et statistique
Faculté des arts et des sciences
Université de Montréal
C. P. 6128, succursale Centre-ville
Montréal (QC) H3C 3J7
For more information about the Department, please consult its web site at:
* Language Policy: Université de Montréal is a Québec university with an international reputation. French is the language of instruction. To renew its teaching faculty, the University is intensively recruiting the world’s best specialists. In accordance with the institution’s language policy, Université de Montréal provides support for newly-recruited faculty to attain proficiency in French
The Université de Montréal application process allows all regular professors in the Department to have access to all documents unless the applicant explicitly states in her or his cover letter that access to the application should be limited to the selection committee. This restriction on accessibility will be lifted if the applicant is invited for an interview.
Equal Access Employment Program
Université de Montréal promotes diversity in its workforce through its Equal access to employment program. It encourages members of visible and ethnic minorities as well as women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities to apply.
We invite all qualified candidates to apply at UdeM. However, in accordance with immigration requirements in Canada, please note that priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.