Instructor - Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Faculty of Science
Dalhousie University invites applicants for a one-year term Instructor position from outstanding candidates with a strong interest in undergraduate education in Mathematics and Statistics.
The candidates should have demonstrated interest and ability in undergraduate education in Mathematics and Statistics. The successful candidate will have a Master’s degree in Mathematics or Statistics: a PhD degree (completed or in progress) will be considered an asset.
The candidate should have strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated innovation in teaching, experience with electronic teaching resources, and the ability and interest to teach a variety of courses will be assets.
The Instructor will be expected to fulfill the following duties:
- Teach 4 semester-long courses from the undergraduate curriculum per academic year. Precise teaching load will be determined by the Chair and the Mathematics and Statistics Directors. The instructor will teach two courses each in Fall and Winter, or three courses in Fall/Winter and one course in summer.
- Manage the Mathematics and Statistics Learning Centre. The Learning Centre is staffed 25 hours/week by teaching assistants: graduate and advanced undergraduate students from Mathematics and Statistics. The Learning Centre offers its services during all three terms. Management of the Centre involves scheduling the teaching assistants, mentoring and instructing the teaching assistants, resolving any conflicts, soliciting feed-back from students, and oversight of the Learning Centre facilities.
- Supervise and mentor the teaching assistants in the first-year course tutorials. This involves organizing an introduction session for new TAs teaching tutorials, as well as providing mentorship and pedagogical guidance for the TAs.
- Manage the maintenance and development of online assignments for large multi-section courses. This involves identifying any issues with the assignments or technology issues and bringing them to the attention of the Chair or of the technical support. Monitoring the content of the assignments and discussing any need for updates with the course coordinator, instructor, or relevant committee. Help develop additional electronic resources as needed.
- Minor administrative tasks, as requested by the department Chair.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has a growing undergraduate program, a strong undergraduate honours program, and a flourishing graduate program. The Department has an active outreach program and encourages students to participate in extra-curricular competitions and programs.
Applications must include a curriculum vitae, a cover letter, a teaching statement, a teaching dossier, a list of references and three confidential letters of reference. All application materials must be submitted online at: http://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/2858 except for the confidential letters of reference.
Three confidential letters of reference are to be forwarded under separate cover by the referees via email or post to:
Lecturer Search Committee
Attention: Ellen Lynch (email@example.com)
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Faculty of Science PO Box 15000
Chase Building, Room 219
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2 Canada
The start date for this position is April 1, 2020. Review of applications will begin March 11, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit https://www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.