Traffic Safety Predictive Analyst
Traffic Safety Predictive Analyst
Job Number: 8935
Put your superior analytical skills to work in North America's first and only municipal Office of Traffic Safety. You will be joining the rapidly growing field of urban traffic safety where the application of statistics and predictive analysis is becoming a vital decision support tool in reducing motor vehicle collisions.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Provide short, medium, and long-term predictions of collisions and/or speeding by considering current and historical traffic safety related data as well as other influential factors, including weather and demographic data
- Identify, generate and monitor KPIs; review the related performance issues and recommend evidence-based resolutions
- Review the traffic safety strategic goals and provide evidence-based recommendations for the goals
- Provide leadership, supervision, training and direction to two technicians to ensure that collision data processing is done in a timely manner and meets the preset quality target
- Analyze traffic safety related data such as collision, traffic flow, and vehicle speed distribution to identify collision and speeding trends
- Provide advanced statistical support for road user behaviour analysis and research, as well as for other traffic safety initiatives like speed management and engineering improvement programs
- Make recommendations relating to the City of Edmonton traffic safety performance and predictions based on a comprehensive statistical analysis of various traffic safety-related data
- Work collaboratively with other analysts to conduct cross-initiative analysis for various Office of Traffic Safety initiatives such as engineering design improvement, education, roadway maintenance, road user behaviours, fleet safety, and Operation 24 hours
- Coordinate responses to collision data inquires
- Represent the Office of Traffic Safety by presenting research findings in professional, public and educational settings
- Work collaboratively with our stakeholders and research associates supporting the four elements of traffic safety: Evaluation, Education, Engineering, and Enforcement
- Routinely examine and refine the skill sets to find ways of improving the work quality
To visualize what it is like to be on our team, visitThe City of Edmonton Talent Hub
- University graduation (preferably at the Masters level) in Advanced Statistics with major in trend analysis, forecasting, structural equation modeling and factor analysis
- Minimum of four (4) years of analytical experience including research and synthesizing information for decision making purposes and report preparation
- Extensive knowledge of different traffic safety analysis methodologies and different speed management techniques, tools, and programs an asset
- Extensive knowledge in survey, sampling and research methodologies
- Extensive knowledge in risk analysis and risk-based prioritization
- Extensive knowledge and experiences in data management including database administration, data mining, and computer programming including Visual basic Application
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, SPSS, R, and at least one GIS application such as Geomedia and ArcGIS
- Familiarity with MVCIS, Business Objects, GEA / MicroStation V8 and CrimeStat would be an asset
- Knowledge of Traffic Safety Programs available through the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues
- Ability to carry out research, audits and prepare advanced statistical and analytical reports
- Ability to work interactively and collaboratively with other City departments, the Edmonton Police Service, other traffic safety stakeholders and partnerships at local, regional, provincial, national, and international levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation skills and editing reports
- Strong organizational and decision making skills
- An original Police Information Check or Certified Criminal Record Check issued within the past 6 months that is satisfactory to the employer will be required before starting in the position. The new hire will be required to obtain this check from Edmonton Police Services or a local RCMP detachment. Please note, this may take up to 3 weeks to process
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable hours of work program.
SalaryRange: 21M, Salary Grade: 030, $37.128-$46.913(Hourly), $2,506.14-$3,166.63(Bi-Weekly), $ 65,410.25-$82,648.98(Annually). The rates quoted are in accordance with a collective agreement between the Union and the City of Edmonton. This Union contract is currently under negotiation.
- Applicants may be tested.
- Civic Service Union 52 members are asked to send a copy of their application to the union office.
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The Province of Alberta is a party to the federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement with British Columbia, and the New West Partnership with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extraprovincial credentials at www.tilma.ca.
Recruitment Consultant: KC/GB
Classification Title: Methods Analyst II
Posting Date: Mar-08-12
Closing Date - 11:00pm on: Mar-22-12
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union: CSU 52
Department: Office of Traffic Safety (Transportation Services)
Work Location(s): Versa Building, Suite 200, 9304 - 41 Ave Edmonton T6E 6G8
Want to apply? Need more details? Visitwww.edmonton.ca/careers
Use our easy online system to complete all application requirements immediately and efficiently.
Applicants applying by fax (780)496-8063 or by mail/drop-off at the Employment Centre, Main Floor, City Hall, #1 Sir Winston Churchill Square, Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7, will be forwarded necessary application documents.