Committee on Women in Statistics
Mireille Schnitzer - Chair/président(e)
Terms of Reference
The Committee on Women in Statistics was established as an ad hoc committee by a motion of the Board on 5 June 1997 and made a continuing committee by a motion of the Board on 18 October 1997. Its membership was revised by a motion of the Board on 31 May 2009.
Chair: Appointed by the incoming President.
Membership: Four additional members in good standing appointed by the incoming President, one of whom shall be a representative from the Canadian Section of the Caucus for Women in Statistics and one a representative from the ISI Committee on Women in Statistics.
Terms and Duties:
- To study the participation of women in Statistics in Canada; to develop and maintain a database of current and historical information about such participation.
- To recommend, monitor, and be a focal point for liaisons with other societies and organizations concerned with promoting the participation of women in their professions.
- To stimulate professional contact among the members of the Society and the interchange of ideas related to the Society's objectives, to Statistics in general, to the improvement of the status of professional women statisticians, and to the specific challenges associated with the participation of women in the profession.
- To promote research on scientific issues pertaining to women.
- To stimulate interest in the study of Statistics among women students.
- To foster opportunities for women members to assume active roles in the Society, at professional meetings, on governing boards, and on committees.
- To promote and strengthen the participation of women in the Society.