Geraldine Lo Siou - Chair/président(e)
Felix Camirand Lemyre
Thierry Chekouo Tekougang
Terms of Reference
Old (last amended in 2008) By-Laws 16.2 and 16.6 (pdf).
Chair: Appointed by the incoming President.
Membership: Two members in good standing employing English as their working language and an equal number of members in good standing employing French as their working language, appointed by the incoming President.
Terms and Duties:
The Bilingualism Committee shall promote the application of the principles of bilingualism as recognized in the By-Laws.
A primary responsibility of the Bilingualism Committee is to ensure the completion of the required translation of the program and abstracts for Annual Meetings, as detailed in the Guidelines for Annual Meetings.
- At the 1987 Spring Board Meeting the Bilingualism Committee was asked to consider ways in which the bilingual nature of the Annual Meetings might be enhanced and to provide specific suggestions for implementation.
- At the 1991 Fall Board Meeting, a motion was passed that the Chair of the Bilingualism Committee be a member of the Program Committee.
- At the 1994 Spring Board Meeting, a motion was passed that the Program Secretary revise the Program Guidelines, in consultation with the Bilingualism Committee, to make sure that the bilingualism policy is implemented. In particular, steps should be taken so that a suitably bilingual person proofreads the Program.
- At the 1994 Fall Board Meeting, a motion was passed that the Executive Committee establish a task force to oversee implementation of the Society's policy on bilingualism for Annual Meetings, in particular, to ensure a fully bilingual program.
- At the 1998 Fall Board Meeting the Bilingualism Committee was mandated to determine how to implement the bilingualism policy on the Web site.
- At the 2001 Spring Board Meeting the Bilingualism Committee recommended that the Annual Meeting Program should be fully bilingual, and that speakers be encouraged to submit abstracts in both languages.
- At the 2005 Spring Board Meeting the Bilingualism Committee reported that they organised a draw from all those with acceptable translations in order to encourage speakers to provide their abstracts in both French and English. The winner of the draw receives a free SSC membership. The intention was to continue this each year.
- At the 2007 Fall Board Meeting the Bilingualism Committee recommended that at the Annual Meeting:
- People that present in one language should be encouraged to have their slides in the other language. A short text should be added on the Web page to encourage this practice.
- Information on language used for the presentation and the slides should be added to the program. This information could be collected when the author is submitting the abstract.